Civil Rights and Social Justice
This summer, I joined the young people of Fairfield and neighboring communities to protest police brutality in our country and call attention to the systemic racism that so often goes unrecognized in our society. We need to listen, learn, and be willing to change our behaviors in ways we have not imagined before.
I am committed to assuring that all members of our society are treated equally under the law. This includes protection and expansion of voting rights that are now under siege; courageous conversations about racism in our country, about its roots and how we may begin to heal; recognition of LGBTQ+ health, employment, marriage and parenting rights; and not only stemming but reversing the spread of destructive disinformation that threatens to undermine our democracy.
I will continue to lead efforts to:
● Assure access to No Excuse Absentee Ballots so that no voter in Connecticut ever has to choose between their health and their right to vote;
● Expand voting rights in Connecticut, including for former felons;
● Promote freedom of expression and platforms for conversation to expand our understanding of our neighbors and our community;
● Guarantee equality for the LGBTQ+ community, including parentage rights;
● Advocate for adult adoptee access to their original birth certificates;
● Identify sources and halt the spread of destructive disinformation.