Protecting our Environment
Updated: Sep 9
As areas of the world shut down to prevent the spread of Covid-19, we saw the positive impact of reducing pollution for even a short time. Connecticut and Fairfield have been leaders in developing and supporting clean air and renewable energy. Now, as our country becomes more aware of the fragility of our environment, we need to secure our progress and build for the future.
We need to support renewable energy, sustainable growth and green construction, and support job training for those who must move from one labor force to another. We need to make sure that the environmental progress we enjoy in our town and state leaves no community behind.
We only have one planet and in order to protect it for ourselves and our children, we must:
● Move towards 100% renewable energy by funding and incentivizing such business, including offshore wind;
● Invest in green jobs and green infrastructure;
● Support environmental justice initiatives to ensure that our progress helps all communities equally;
● Stop flooding by preserving and protecting our neighborhoods near waterways, through design, engineering and funding of shoreline resilience projects;
● Engage in long term solutions for recycling and our waste stream;
● Ban the use of dangerous chemicals such as PFAS and Chlorpyrifos.